Every year I try to tell you that an orange lip is not only totally wearable, but it’s a must at music festivals! Why you ask? Because it adds a bit of sophistication to the bohemian cutoffs, gladiator sandals, fringe and aviator shades in a way that is bold and gorgeous (and still complementary). So today, I’m breaking it down for you in a protocol that will last all day & night and never lose a kilowatt of brightness. Here’s how: READ MORE…
So, it’s post-dinner and about that time where the sweet cravings kick into high gear. The Ben & Jerry’s carton is basically knocking down the freezer door trying to make its way into your bowl. Want to go for a dessert that’s just as delicious and packed with healthy, beautifying goodies? Peep our chia seed pudding complete with yummy accessories! Something magical happens when you mix chia seeds with almond milk…you’re are left with a delicious pudding that you can sweeten with honey and vanilla and add healthy toppings. The best part? It is sans sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial ingredients and all the other junk found in the pre-packaged stuff. J-E-L-L-NO. Here’s how you make it!
Curious to know the beauty benefits? Let’s break this down…
1. Chia Seeds: You’ve seen our love for this superfood during snack time, but in this sweet treat they are the star ingredient. Just one of the many benefits of chia seeds, they have a high concentrate of vegetarian omega 3 fatty acids. A diet rich in omega 3s can aid in nourishing hair follicles which will combat brittle ends as well as a dry scalp. Hello lustrous locks! Studies also show that these essential fatty acids can reduce acne and inflammation, boosting the skins natural glow. And we are ALL about that.
2. Coconut: This ingredient is buzzing in the beauty world these days. Coconut oil and coconut water are incorporated into all sorts of beauty regimes. The same benefits occur when munching on some raw coconut! And we think eating this tasty little gem is more fun than topical application. Duh. Raw, unrefined coconut contains antioxidant properties that can help slow the aging process by protecting our bodies from free radicals (one of the main causes of tired/aging skin). Not to mention it’s filled with electrolytes that can keep you nice and hydrated. We all know that hydration is the greatest beauty secret of all!
3. Almond milk: This super delicious dairy alternative is a major source of protein. Protein, being essential to the body’s growth and development, helps with…you guessed it…hair and nail growth! Want longer, stronger hair + nails? A protein rich diet will do just that. Almond milk is also packed with vitamin E. Remember those pesky free radicals we discussed? Well, getting your daily dose of vitamin E helps to fight off premature aging. Pour us another!
4. Pistachios: We are nuts for these. (See what we did there?) Not only are pistachios super yummy and fun to crack open, they are packed with vitamin B6. Among the long list of B6 benefits, hormonal balance is one of them. Do you ever get annoying breakouts around…ahem…that time of the month? That is most likely due to a hormone imbalance. Studies show that women who have high levels of vitamin B6 are less likely to breakout during that time. Crack on to clear skin!
5. Carob chips: Choco-holics, this little number goes out to you! As a healthier alternative to chocolate, carob tastes just as sweet but with some souped-up health benefits to boot! The biomolecules in carob can bind to inactive toxins and inhibit the growth of bacteria. Sounds super science-y but its really simple. It gets rid of the junk! A body free of toxins/bacteria glows from he inside out!
6. Honey: The sweetest of them all! We’ve raved about this ingredient in the past due to its countless beautifying properties. But let’s be honest, it tastes so good that the benefits are just bonus points!
7. Vanilla: Ok, we are talking PURE vanilla extract, or better yet a vanilla bean/pod. None of the imitation stuff if you can help it! Vanilla, in our opinion, is the perfect ingredient to add full flavor to any dessert/treat and a little goes a long way! In keeping with the theme of antioxidant rich foods, vanilla is no different. The antioxidants found in natural vanilla can fight off oxidative stress which can lead to premature aging. Case in point, bring on the antioxidants!
8. Bananas: It’s no secret that bananas are packed with potassium, as we all learned in 6th grade science class! Even though that’s a well known fact, potassium is one of the most common deficiencies. More reason to un-peel and chow! Not to mention, this mineral is a key player in skin hydration. It maintains electrolyte balance and internal fluids keeping skin cells hydrated and skin internally moisturized…something your body butters and facial hydrators won’t do!
We also happen to think this is the perfect treat to make during your next girls night in and share with your besties. If you decide to give this recipe a go, snap a pic and tag us on insta! @thebeautydept
Welcome back to Brush Class, beauties! If you remember, a couple months ago I showed you which face brushes to use for different coverage (revisit it here). Today we’re taking it a step further and showing you which brush to use for all the different finds of complexion products. And the new brushes out there now are what I’m most excited about! I can’t even begin to tell you how far face brushes have come since I went to makeup school back in 2003. We applied foundation (which only came in two forms, liquid and cream) with a sponge! So come with me on this journey as I simplify everything for you and open your world to the next generation of brushes! READ MORE…
Adding vibrant, rich colors to your hair is always insane amounts of fun and we’re no strangers to experimenting with pretty colors around here. Not all of us can pull off our favorite shade of purple or blue all-over due to school or work, but there’s always a solution! Recently we reunited with our friends at Vidal Sassoon Pro Series and they’re launching some bold new boxes of at-home that include shades like “Midnight Muse Blue“, “London Lilac” + “Runway Red“. Um, yes please. We took a lil note from the always on-point, Kylie Jenner, and decided to play up the idea of having some hidden hues underneath. We thought it would be fun to do a tutorial on getting that look because let’s face it, while we encourage everyone to be as BOLD as possible, you could hide this at even the most conservative 9 to 5! Here’s how we did it…
- Clip all of your hair up into a bun. Put a cape or old (or dark) towel over your shoulders. Add a berrier of petroleum jelly around your lower hairline to keep your skin from staining.
- Create a triangle section in the back of your head as you see in photo number 2. It’s easiest if you part the hair down the center from your front hairline all the way to the nape of your neck. Then go back and take a half triangle from each side of the part as you see above.
- Always, always, always wear your protective gloves while using hair color! Inside the box you’ll find professional gloves, not those janky cheap ones that fall apart.
- Take out all of the Vidal Sassoon Pro Series color contents from the box. There will be containers labeled 1, 2 + 3.
- Take the #1 tube and mix it into the #2 bottle. Empty the entire tube into the bottle!
- Now shake, shake, shake!
- Grab a hand mirror or a compact so that you can see the back (if you’re not having someone help you, which could be both fun AND smart)!
- Put some color at the root of your triangle section and start combing it in with a plastic comb. Using a comb makes it easy to get the triangle section right. It doesn’t have to be perfect but the cleaner the better in our opinion.
- Once you get the root, pour some of the color on the middle and ends.
- Work it through with your fingers.
- It was really fun to watch it change from a pinkish/magenta hue to lilac. We have a feeling this will fade very nicely over time and just keep getting prettier! Once it’s ready, shampoo the color out. Lean over the sink and turn your head if possible to avoid getting color elsewhere. That’s what we did and it seemed to work really well. Run the #3 tube through the hair for extra shimmer + major shine.
- Blow dry or air dry your hair, as you please. You won’t see the color when your hair is down or in a low pony or bun, but once you put it up high, you get the full effect. We love adding some sweet accessories to this, as you can tell.
If you have darker hair this color looks beautiful. And if you want that extra pop, go into the salon and ask your colorist to have this section subtly pre-lightened. That’s what we did for the photo below. It didn’t need much, and you definitely don’t need to bleach it out to blonde, but for the color to be bold you’ll want to take the extra step.
Overall, we’re in love with the color and we’ve never seen anything like London Lilac on the shelves before. Our favorite thing was that the hair feels glossy + soft. If you try out the Vidal Sassoon Pro Series London Luxe colors, we would LOVE to see it! Tag us in your photo @thebeautydept on instagram, please!
But more importantly, Vidal Sassoon Pro Series is holding an AMAZING color contest for this launch which you should look at right HERE. Wanna go to London? Want $4,000? Um, WE DO TOO.